What do I do if the credit bureau says my dispute is frivolous?

Let’s talk about this frustrating situation.

What do I do if the credit bureau says my dispute is frivolous?You’re dealing with false credit information, and you reach out to the credit bureaus and ask them to fix your reports.

They respond by saying, “We deem you to have made a frivolous dispute. Therefore we will not investigate or change it.”

Now you’re wondering, “What can I do?”

This is frustrating to deal with, assuming your dispute isn’t actually frivolous (if it actually is frivolous, well…).

Your legitimate claim is ignored because the bureaus refuse to investigate.

If this is your situation, then we recommend that you should check and see if they gave you any information as to why it’s frivolous.

Sometimes they say that you’ve done this dispute before, so they won’t investigate again unless you have new information.

Or maybe they say the letter looks like it is coming from a different zip code than where you live.

If they don’t give you a reason, then you should call them and see if they’ll explain.

Whether they give you an explanation on the phone or not, consider doing another dispute.

Give them every piece of information that you can, and give them new information with this new dispute.  If you can, address and fix any problem they say they have with the letter.  In other words, take away their silly excuses.

In addition, you should read over your dispute letter and make sure you were crystal clear about what you’re disputing, why it’s an errors, and what you want them to do.

The easiest way to do this is to call us at 1-205-879-2447 and let us help you. 

We can lay out all of the evidence, look at it, and help determine whether or not the credit bureau is right.

I’ll tell you this, these companies are incredibly wretched in how they run.

How they put many of us in harm’s way by allowing our personal information to be stolen?

Trust me, the rest of these companies are just as bad.

It’s quite common that these companies will label disputes as “frivolous.”

Here’s an example of what they like to do.

Experian loves to do this, where you send in your driver’s license, a recent bank statement/insurance statement that has your name and your address, all of which match the dispute letter, and the bureau will say that they can’t process your letter because they’re afraid someone is trying to steal your identity.

So they ask you to send all of those documents to them again.

You just sent them all of those documents.

They do this because they know that if they stop people the first time, then fewer people will dispute with them.

They know that if they refuse to investigate, most people will leave it alone and keep the false information on their report.

Know that in most cases, you can do something about the false information on your credit report.

We’d be glad to chat with you and help you discover whether you have a valid claim, and help you fix it.

If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with us.

You can reach us by phone at 1-205-879-2447.

Or, if you prefer, you can fill out a contact form and we will get in touch with you quickly.

We look forward to chatting with you!

Thanks for reading, and have a great day.

-John G. Watts


  1. Eugene Hansen says:

    Hello, I tried to dispute a item on my report online and when I did I got this the credit reporting companies have deemed your dispute “frivolous” and won’t pursue it now I read online that to dispute it again which I have. And I revived this again. What can I do to get this disputed?

    • John Watts says:


      We typically recommend doing a dispute by a real letter sent certified mail to the credit reporting companies.

      Take a look at what they said caused your first dispute to be frivolous. Is there anything you can change or add to it to answer the claim of being frivolous?

      So if your first dispute referenced documents but you did not include them, and the credit reporting agencies are fussing about this, then send the documents by certified mail.

      If you truly don’t know why they said it was frivolous, consider disputing again and asking them why they said your first dispute was frivolous.

      The above are some general suggestions.

      If you live outside of Alabama, get with a lawyer in your state to give you specific advice.

      If you are in Alabama, call us at 205-879-2447 and we can look at your disputes, the responses, etc. and give you specific legal advice instead of just general educational information like I did above.

      Best wishes and I hope this helps you. I understand how frustrating this can be.

      John Watts

  2. Mike hand says:

    Capital one paid in full 2014 reporting as chargeoff all three credit bureaus

    • John Watts says:


      Was it charged off before you paid it in full?

      What balance does it show after the payoff in 2014? Zero or does it show a balance owed?

      Is the current status “charge off” right now?

      I would suggest making sure you have your updated real reports (get them from Annual Credit Report) and then get with a lawyer who is experienced in the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) to help you.

      It may be that it is actually reporting right.

      If it is wrong — and it sounds like it is — then you’ll need to dispute through the credit reporting agencies. A lawyer can help you prepare that and should not charge you for the service.

      We only get paid when we sue the bad guys and beat them.

      Happy to help dispute false information anytime.

      We do only represent folks in Alabama so if here call us at 205-879-2447 and ask to speak to Randi Curb. If in another state, find a good lawyer there who can help you.

      Best wishes!

      John Watts

Leave a Comment