13 responses

1. Gregory Knife
    July 24, 2017

I requested a continuance with the court for additional time to answer a junk debt collection lawsuit that is not properly documented. My request for continuance was denied and a hearing shall be scheduled. This case is filed in Montgomery County Ohio . I can be reached at 937-307-1499. Thank You

• John Watts
      July 25, 2017

Gregory,

Thanks for your comment. You’ll need to get with a consumer lawyer in Ohio as I don’t practice in Ohio — the information on this website relates to Alabama.

Best wishes and hope you are successful in the suit. Get with a lawyer ASAP and you should have a good idea of your options in your particular case.

2. Dawn L Hulse
    January 9, 2019

Hello and thank you for this information!! I am so looking forward to court next week 🙂

• John Watts
      January 14, 2019

Hope it works out for you!!!

3. Kelly
    January 15, 2019

I have hospital bill ($7000.00) that went to lawyers. Of course, went to court. I did not contest the judgement. Now the lawyers, have the Court judgement against me.
    After several attempts to return their call and on hold for 20 mins waiting for a rep, I got a live person.
    I told them at this time, I could do $50 month. Not good enough, they want $150. they suggest i complete a financial assistance form and the hospital has to approve it. Issue— I live w my boyfriend and was added to his bank acct. they insist on obtaining all of his information! He refuses- I get it… I am being told that the form is based on Household income even though we are not married.
    What are my options?? When I signed paper at time of surgery, His name was not guarantor! He didn’t agree to pay it! Do I have any options?

• John Watts
      January 19, 2019

Kelly,

I know this is frustrating so let’s see if we can figure out what’s happening.

Once the hospital has a judgment against you, then they can collect on it. They do NOT have to settle with you. Instead, they can garnish you.

But you want to settle — to do that and for them to take less than what they want you to pay, you have to fill out the financial assistance form. You are NOT required to do this but if you don’t, then they are NOT required to work with you on settling.

I get why your boyfriend does not want to be involved. But when you ask someone to settle, they can set the terms. So can you — and if y’all can’t agree, then the case does not settle.

You need to know the options the hospital has if you don’t settle — can they garnish your wages, your bank accounts, take property you own, etc.

In Alabama, the answer is often yes to all of those.

If you can’t settle and can’t do anything else, then you may want to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer about options. I would hate to see you file bankruptcy over a medical bill but it does happen.

See if you can work it out though — explain to your boyfriend the only way to settle is to either pay them the $150 a month or fill out the form.

If you are in Alabama and want to chat call us at 205-879-2447 best wishes!

4. Terry Lemons
    October 15, 2019

Hello John… This is great info. So I can sue them for suing me??? I was sued I told court Arbitration Agreement, judge told me to file for it then so I did. They haven’t responded to JAMS for fees to start, I saw on my credit report Junk debt buyer removed info after I told credit report agency why this on my report we are going thru court/arbitration it was then removed . Junk debt buyer sends Dismiss with Prejudice Agreement although I haven’t signed it nor respond to them because in it says dismiss claim and ANY OTHER CLAIM with this account.
    So, no if I can sue in Federal Court for sending me thru all the hoops. Thanks A Million John!!!

• John Watts
      October 15, 2019

Terry,

Get with me and send me the information you have — sometimes when arbitration is involved it gets confusing on what they are dismissing, etc.

But if you will email it to me ([email protected]) I’ll be glad to take a look and give you my thoughts thanks!

John

5. Abilash Samuel
    November 1, 2019

Hello! My name is Abilash Samuel, and this is on behalf of Jessy Abilash. We are from Staten Island, New York. I don’t know if this Alabama Laws work here in New York.
    I received a letter from a collection agency regarding medical debt. and I responded with disputed letter.
    In the mean time we were making slow payment on the medical debt till zero balance with the originator.
    After several months later, I then saw my spouse pay stub, and they already process wage garnishment without any warning or court letter with trail date on it. I was blind and finally i saw wage garnishment on my pay stub. now does this stay on my record forever. How can I stop this wage garnishment. Please help us. I hope there is way for this mess that collector made.
    My email is [email protected]
    Thank you.

Abilash Samuel
    c/o: Jessy Abilash

6. Cathy Couch
    December 11, 2020

Thank you so much, John, for your speedy response to my email. And even more so, thank you so much for the link you included in your response. I was able to find a lawyer with a low consultation fee to help me. All thanks to you. So again, thank you. May God bless you and your family in this life and the one after.

• John Watts
      February 3, 2021

Very welcome — glad you got some help!

John

7. Cristina
    September 10, 2021

I reside in GA not Alabama but wanted to make you aware that UHG 1 LLC is actively suing people nationwide (Court Case Search) and they are providing the sale of the debt paperwork and everything you state here. My husband was served and none of these would apply to the answer because they have provided it all! I am researching on how to put together and answer to the complaint but cannot use this.

• John Watts
      December 23, 2021

Get with Steve Koval in Atlanta — he has experience dealing with UHG. We deal with them a lot in AL and they are handling cases the same way in GA it appears. Steve can help you — tell him I sent you to him.

Thanks!