19 responses

1. Elisha
    May 10, 2017

I had a judgment passed against me with LVNV funding. I have until May 24 to file amotion to vacate judgement

Can you help me?

• John Watts
      May 11, 2017

Elisha,

If you are in Alabama call Carolyn in my office at 205-879-2447.

If you were sued in small claims or district court you can normally appeal within 14 days of the judgment.

If you received a default judgment, then you normally have 14 days to ask the court to set it aside.

Lots of possibilities based on what happened so call us at 205-879-2447 so we can see how we can help you.

Thanks….

2. Tina
    August 8, 2017

I was sued by LVNV Funding LLC, I never received paperwork about this. I didn’t get anything until the court date was over. I am being garnished by them,I called the law firm that is handling this and they had no answers for me. Is there anyway I can find out who this debt is from and try and negotiate with them?
    Someone please help.

Thanks
    tina

• John Watts
      August 8, 2017

Tina,

If you were not properly served, then the judgment should be reversed or set aside. (I’m assuming you are in Alabama — if not have to check your state’s laws).

Being served means personally being handed the papers, or receiving them by certified mail, or the lawsuit papers being given to an adult who lives with you.

We can see what the court says happened and then you can tell us if you were really served.

It is pretty common that we are attacking judgments for lack of being served.

Bottom line is if you can attack the judgment, then LVNV is in a bad spot.

But if you were served, then you will need to look at trying to settle. If the judgment is proper (because you were properly served) then you negotiate with the collection lawyers. (Technically you can ask the court to set aside a judgment but very limited time to do so IF you were served).

Call us at 205-879-2447 if you live in Alabama and we can look up what happened in court. Then help you see your options.

Best wishes and we’ll be happy to help.

205-879-2447 (ask for Carolyn)

PS — if you are outside of Alabama we can’t help you — you’ll need a lawyer in your state to look up your case and help you understand your options.

3. taadamexa smith
    October 4, 2017

being sued by lvnv funding. the date said on the paper say severed by August 30 got it October 3. was not sign by an officer and not deliver by officer. live in texas

• John Watts
      October 9, 2017

You need to get with a Texas lawyer ASAP so LVNV does not get the court to get a default judgment against you.

I don’t know if the “service” was valid or not as I don’t practice in Texas.

Please take immediate action on this to protect yourself.

Best wishes!

4. Ieanette
    October 14, 2017

I havent been served anything or received anything in the mail from LVNV, but I have gotten over 30 letters from lawyers offices offering their services and they say that they see I am being sued by LVNV. I dont work, havent in 3 years, i am immobile due to severe RA and sybchope caused by RA, I faint dail when under stress or extreme heat. I do not have a bank account so they cat freeze anything, and they cat garnish me because I have no income, I am separated, but am living in the basement because I cant work and I have 4 kids. I have one credit card, and its in good standing. I had a credit card years ago Credit ONE, who closed my account for no reason and wouldnt let me pay online. I owed them 400 dollars whcih was my limit. They wanted me to give them a checking account number and I said no. i said id pay online as I had always done. They blocked me form paying online. Turned me over to a collection agency for the amount of 689, note my limit was 400, so I told the collection agency Id pay what I owe 400 dollars. They said no. So I said OK. Good luck to you and then they sent one more letter stating that if I didnt pay 890, note my limit was 400, Id be taken to court and id hav to pay 890 plus 2500 for court fees. Since I dont have an income, I cant even keep some doctors appts die to a lack of income. I left in Gods hands. Now I see they may be serving me soon, but I am not accepting anything from anyone anytime soon. Not sure how to proceed with no car ND NO INCOME.

• John Watts
      October 17, 2017

Leanette,

I’m sorry you are in this situation.

Have you been served yet with the lawsuit?

Given the size of the lawsuit and the threat that you will have to pay $2500 in court fees, I would get with a consumer protection lawyer in your state.

That $2500 seems outrageous and it may give a lawyer the chance to sue LVNV so they may be able to defend you without you paying any lawyer fee.

It is worth a call to a lawyer to see if they can do this.

I would go ahead and start calling some lawyers and have this information handy:

1. If you have a copy of the lawsuit, tell them as it will have the case number

2. If you have been served, tell them so they know the deadlines you are working with to respond

3. I would suggest pulling your credit reports so you can tell the lawyer what LVNV is reporting on you.

Best wishes!!

5. Rose
    December 8, 2017

LVNV is attempting to garnish my husband’s wages for a debt purchased from Sears. Trouble is, that debt is 20+ years old and has been written of TWICE, the last time being back in 2009! They are attempting to garnish his wages for nearly $11,000.00, with a court date set in another state!! We live in North Carolina, and the case is filed in Virginia. Please tell me we can fight this! There is no record of the debt even existing anymore on any of his consumer reports.

• John Watts
      December 13, 2017

Rose,

You’ll need to get a consumer protection lawyer in Virginia to help you as that is where the lawsuit is filed.

I would find out the answers to at least these questions — use these as a starting point:

1. Is there a judgment against your husband? If so, where and when? Or is it just a lawsuit against him?

2. If there is no judgment, then can your husband use the statute of limitations to defend?

3. Is the suit proper in Virginia when you live in North Carolina?

Again use these as a starting point for you.

Hope this helps — definitely get with a VA lawyer ASAP so they can help you.

• Rose
        December 20, 2017

Thank you so much for your help. We have reached out to an attorney in VA, and we will be fighting this. As of this time, there is no judgment against my husband. There is however a garnishment summons, set for April of 2018 in VA. We are hoping to see if we can get this dismissed. Wish us luck!

• John Watts
        December 22, 2017

Absolutely! That’s great — keep fighting it and I’m so glad there is NO judgment!

Best wishes and hope you can get it wrapped up ASAP.

John

6. paul rezin
    March 1, 2018

i just finish paying off my bill how long will it take to show it was paid and acct close on my credit report ty pr

• John Watts
      March 2, 2018

Paul,

It really depends on who the company is.

But here is an option to consider.

You have proof it was paid off.

Dispute with the credit reporting agencies and say something like “I paid off the XYZ account on 2-28-18. Please show it as paid off and closed.” Give them proof of payment.

That can speed up the process for you.

Hope that gives you some ideas — do check things out in your state but this can be a starting point for you.

Best wishes!

7. Jennifer Reid
    October 30, 2018

LVN Funding… are suing me can I have someone to email me asap before they try to garnish my check.

• John Watts
      November 19, 2018

Jennifer,

If you are in Alabama call us at 205-879-2447 so we can help you. If you are in a different state make sure you get with a lawyer there.

Thanks