How to revoke permission or consent under the TCPA to receive robo dialed calls on your cell phone

How to revoke permission or consent under the TCPA to receive robo dialed calls on your cell phone.

If you gave permission to call your cell phone, you can take it away under the TCPA

If you gave permission to call your cell phone, you can take it away under the TCPA

You’ve probably heard about the TCPA (Telephone Consumer Protection Act), and how it can prevent debt collection companies or any other type of company from blowing up your phone.

This covers automated text messages, automated calls, robo-dialers, and the like.

As you’ve looked at this law, you’ve most likely noticed that permission (consent) is a big part of the TCPA.

If they have permission, then it’s okay for them to robo-dial or auto-text you.

However, if you didn’t give them permission to call or text you, then they’re breaking the law.

You may be wondering, “Can I revoke their permission to call me?

Many times collection companies or whoever is blowing up your phone will claim that you can’t revoke your permission after you’ve given it to them.

This is, to be blunt, stupid and untrue.

That has never been the case.

In addition to being untrue, it’s also inconsistent with every other part of the law.

If you can give consent for them to call you, then you can definitely take back that consent at any time.

“How do I take back my permission under the TCPA from the company?”

You can call them and simply tell  them they no longer have permission to call or text your cell.

They can still manually dial your number and manually text you, but they can no longer use a robo-dialer to try and reach you.

But the safest way to handle this is to send them a letter by certified mail, or some way that you can have confirmation that they received your letter.

In some cases you can send an email, fax, etc — bottom line is to be able to prove they received your revoking of consent.

Let them know that you’re taking back the consent that they think you gave them.

Here’s a thought to keep in mind.

Every time they violate the law, the law breaking company has to pay anywhere from $500-$1,500 per call they make to your phone without your permission.

We’ve had cases where there have been as few as 10 calls up to hundreds of calls/texts that a collection agency made to a consumer’s phone.

That adds up.

If you don’t want them calling you, take away your consent from them.

They’ll have to pay a heavy price if they continue to call after you take back your consent.

Contact us with your questions.

If you live in Alabama and have any questions about what we’ve covered in this article, feel free to get in touch with us.

You can reach us by phone at 1-205-879-2447.

Or, if you prefer, you can fill out a contact form and we will gladly get in touch with you.

I look forward to chatting with you!

Have a great day.

-John G. Watts


  1. Mike McCormick says:

    Hey John. Remember me? Do you know any attorneys over here that are handling these TCPA actions? I keep getting a lot of robocalls and other calls even though my phone numbers is registered. I would like to do something about it.

    Or is it something really easy that I can likely handle myself?

    • John Watts says:

      Hey Mike — I sure do!

      Email me at John [at] and let me know what’s happening — who is calling, what number they are calling, etc. and I’ll give you some thoughts. We can definitely get you to someone who can help and we can walk you through the options of doing this on your own.

      Thanks my friend!

      John Watts

  2. Stanley J Szczepanski says:

    I’m trying to find out where do I send a revoke letter to.
    And do both myself and my wife need to send letter’s
    If you could help me I would appreciate it very much

    • John Watts says:


      Couple of options for you.

      If you are talking to the creditor or collector, ask them where you need to send a revocation letter to. If they won’t tell you, ask them “why not?”

      You could also send it to the general correspondence address on the bill. This is often different than the payment address.

      I would start with one of those two and see if that works for you.

      Best wishes!

      John Watts

Leave a Comment