35 responses

1. irene davis
    May 1, 2015

Need to make payments for a capital one bill. Would like to do on line if possible or get number I can call each month.

May 3, 2015

Irene,

If you are dealing directly with Capital One you should be able to call the number on the back of your card.

If it has gone to a lawfirm, then you should get a letter from the firm. Same thing with a collection agency.

That way you can pay, if you choose this option, the debt collector or collection lawfirm.

If you have questions and you live in Alabama, call us at 205-879-2447 and Carolyn will get some of the details from you.

Best wishes and thanks for your comment.

2. taft delon
    February 5, 2016

I have 2 leans on my land from Zarzuar & Schwartz. One from 2005 and another from 2008. When recently purchasing a new vehicle, my credit shows that BOTH Debts. have been wrote off my credit as a bad debt with a ZERO balance from both Debtors. Isn’t it illegal for this law firm to obtain money from me when both debtors have now wrote off the debt? Wouldn’t they have to take this lean off my land since there is nothing to collect now?
    Thank you for your help….

February 5, 2016

Taft,

Normally you only have a lien on your property if you have a judgment. So if someone obtained judgments against you in 2005 and 2008, then it doesn’t matter what’s on your credit report. Often it will be “charged off” but that doesn’t make the judgment go away and if the judgment is still valid, then the liens are still out there.

You may have some options — be best for us to talk by phone. Call us at 205-879-2447 and ask to speak to Carolyn and she can look these up for you and set us up a call.

Thanks

3. Ruth
    March 16, 2016

I have been making regular payments for some time to Z & C for a medical bill. Their standard correspondence mentions I can make a settlement offer. How does this work, and what is an appropriate amount or percentage?

Thank you for your help.

March 16, 2016

Ruth,

You can always make a lump sum settlement offer to Zarzaur & Schwartz. This can save you money and the collectors like it because it is the money now instead of monthly payments.

You are welcome to make them an offer or ask them for a lump sum offer.

If you want some thoughts about percentages etc give us a call and I’ll be happy to chat with you. You can call us at 205-879-2447 and ask for Carolyn — she can get your information and set us up a phone call. Take about 15 minutes.

Thanks!

4. Tina
    April 11, 2016

I received a copy of a garnishment dated Feb 2005 that Z & S had filed a motion to revive in March 2016. I wasn’t working at the time of the garnishment and have not heard anything since so this came out of the blue. Can they come back 11 years later and start garnishment? They have already contacted my employer to start taking it out immediately. I thought if they didn’t revive in 10 years it was gone? Is there anything I can do?

April 12, 2016

Tina,

After 10 years a judgment “dies” in Alabama but the company that has the judgment can ask the court to “revive” it. If the court does, it is good for another 10 years.

Contact me by phone (205-879-2447 — ask for Carolyn) and let’s talk about whether you were served back in 2005 or 2004.

If you weren’t served, we can attack the judgment.

If you were, then we need to look at options such as:

1. Bankruptcy
      2. Making payment arrangements
      3. Doing a lump sum settlement

We’ll be glad to help you think through your options.

205-879-2447

Thanks

5. Pam
    September 10, 2016

I had a judgement against me in 2012. I have made payments to zarzuela every month since that date. I recently got an order of garnishment without any prior notice, letter ECT. Can they do this ? How could I fight this?

September 15, 2016

Pam,

Did you have an agreement with them on the amount to pay? Did Zarzaur tell you that if you made those payments, there would be no garnishment?

Have you made the payments?

Normally if there is a judgment, then garnishment can happen anytime. But if the collection firm (such as Zarzaur) told you it would not garnish as long as you paid, then it should honor that promise.

Give us a call at 205-879-2447 and we’ll be happy to discuss with you over the phone. Ask for Carolyn and she’ll set you up a phone call with me and we’ll help you understand your options.

Thanks

6. kristin townsend
    August 3, 2017

I received a copy of a garnishment dated Feb 2006 that Z & S had filed a motion to revive in dec 2016. I was working at the time of the garnishment. They have already contacted my employer to start taking it out immediately. I nhave been paying an average of $180.00 to $200.00 every 2 weeks on a judgment of $2,400.32. on my check stubs it says the garnishment is at ($2,032.27) .they are telling me that i still owe $500.00. how do i go about making sure its right and making sure my job once fully paid wont continue to pay them, i contacted them and the lawyers wont tell me anything keep sayin i have to go to my job human resorces , and my job tells me i have to recieve papers from them. HELP THIS IS SUCH A HEADACHE! i need just a little bit of councel and its been such a struggle since this happen and im hoping to end the struggle finaceally. thank you for any help

August 3, 2017

Kristin,

Call my office at 205-879-2447 and we can chat specifically about this situation.

Sounds like there has been some “post judgment” interest added. You do need to verify how much has been received by Zarzaur & Schwartz and compare that to what you owed. Money is withheld from paycheck, then eventually sent to court, then eventually sent to Zarzaur. So there can be a delay in the money getting to them.

But call us and we’ll help you walk through it.

205-879-2447

Thanks!

PS — ask for Carolyn and she’ll look up your case and get the details.

7. Donna Garland
    April 13, 2018

I have a judgement against me for a car. They are taking 25%. I don’t have the car,they do which doesn’t seem fair. Is there anything I can do? How can they take it and still get paid for it? Is that legal?

April 13, 2018

Donna,

I’m sorry you are dealing with this.

I assume what has happened is you had a car repossessed, then you were sued, and a judgment was entered against you.

Now you are being garnished 25% on your wages.

The theory is — unfair often in practice — but the theory is when they take the car, they sell it, and apply the money to what you owe.

Then you get sued for the difference — the “deficiency”.

You have a couple of options if there is a judgment against you.

You can negotiate a settlement with the collection lawfirm (I assume Zarzaur & Schwartz since commenting on this page).

Another option is you can file bankruptcy.

You could allow them to keep taking the money until paid off.

Or you could ask the court to grant you an exemption where some or all of your income is protected from garnishment.

Sorry you are dealing with this and I hope these options get you started in the right direction to find a solution.

Best wishes

• Donna Garland
        April 23, 2018

Thank you very much. I’m assuming they gave the car away since I owe full amount plus expenses. I’m not trying to get out of it but I will try talking with them and see if they will work with me. Again,thank you.

April 23, 2018

You are very welcome Donna — hope you get some good answers quickly!

8. Patrice
    April 20, 2018

Hi,

I received a letter from Zarzaur and Schwartz asking I pay a balance it’s just a regular collection letter. Should I just respond and ask them to validate the debt? It didn’t say anything about suing on this one.

April 21, 2018

Patrice,

It really does depend on each situation but in general yes I would send a validation letter (example here).

Or you can call us at 205-879-2447 and we can take a look at the letter and let you know if we think a lawsuit is on its way or not.

Best wishes!

• Patrice
        April 23, 2018

Thank you. I will give your office a call.

9. Kristen
    August 7, 2018

Hello,

My fiance received a letter from Z&S yesterday, regarding a balance which was in collections from Credit Acceptance for a truck he was a co-signer on which was repossessed. The amount is for over $10k and is something we are not able to pay in full for. What do you suggest we do about handling this debt?

August 8, 2018

Kristen,

You have a couple of options.

First, you could ask them about a payment plan.

Second, you could request proof or validation of the debt — especially if you question the amount.

Third, you could hire a lawyer to negotiate with them. A lawsuit will probably be filed soon against your fiancee so keep that in mind.

If you want to chat with us give us a call at 205-879-2447.

Best wishes

10. Sarah
    January 12, 2019

Hello,

I received letters from Z&S back in September/October. I didn’t get these letters at first because my address had changed. So, I called them later in October and left a message. I never heard back from them, no calls, no more letters. Now, I think I have received a court summons to that same bad address. I’ve tried to call again and will continue to call them. Will I still be able to make payment arrangements with them at this point? They had the wrong address and never contacted me back. Also, this was a shared loan and the other person has completely walked away from the responsibility, barely ever paid anything toward it. Any advice. Thank you so much!!

11. Frank
    June 28, 2019

I set up payment arrangements with them 4 months ago. I have made full payments, on time, for the 4 months. I still received a summons yesterday. I don’t know why. I have called them 3 times now, left messages, and no calls are being returned. Now what?

July 2, 2019

Frank,

If you are served, you have to respond or they will get a default judgment against you.

You should reach out to them again to figure out why they sued you.

And some folks put in their response that they file in court that they are making payments.

Do make sure your payments have not been returned for some reason — if they are accepted I’m not sure why you were sued.

Welcome to call me and we can look and see what’s going on. 205-879-2447.

12. Shannon Miller
    July 2, 2019

Judgement not revived after 10 year period how do I get a release from property lien

July 2, 2019

Shannon,

Even after 10 years in Alabama normally a judge will let the collection lawyers revive the judgment. So consider carefully if you want to bring attention to this matter now or if you can let more time go by.

Welcome to call me if this is about an Alabama judgment — 205-879-2447 thanks.

13. Janiah
    July 11, 2019

Can Z & S sue me if I’m never actually served? They are sending mail to an address I no longer live at.

July 14, 2019

Janiah,

I’m assuming you are in Alabama. So the first step is Zarzaur & Schwartz sues you. Then they serve you. If they have an old address, they won’t be able to serve you there but they can serve you at your new address or any place they can find you. People have been served on planes.

You do have to keep an eye on this as sometimes the process server (the one trying to serve you) will say that they served you even though they didn’t. But if the court thinks you are served, then your time to answer starts to run.

If sued in small claims or district court, you have 14 days to respond after served. If sued in circuit court, have 30 days to respond after being served.

If you want us to look up your case, call Carolyn at 205-879-2447 and she can look up the case for you.

Best wishes!

14. GW
    October 12, 2019

I don’t even live in Alabama and never have, got 2 letters asking for a payment plan, do I need to do anything?

October 15, 2019

GW,

It may be that Zarzaur & Schwartz practices in your state — not sure. Contact me at john[at]wattsherring.com and send me the letters and I’ll be glad to give you my thoughts.

John

15. jeff calvert
    October 28, 2019

Hi, I’m disabled and on Social Security, is there a way they would take less then what i allegedly owe them? Also i am unable to drive so if taken to court i would be unable to show up. What would happen.

16. Jonja Bivens
    May 23, 2020

What if you received a letter from them providing a set court date for a forth coming lawsuit,,,, but after looking over their provided ownership proof of the account, I discovered misinformation,,,the account number and my S.S.N. is incorrect,,,,,now where do I stand with this case…

SINCERELY
    Jonja Bivens

May 25, 2020

Jonja,

I think it depends on how off the info is. Does it have your name but wrong SSN? Wrong account number?

Or is it clearly some other consumer’s info?

Sometimes they send you the wrong stuff.

Other times it is clear that the documents have been made after the fact and the docs have the wrong info.

If you are in AL call us at 205-879-2447. If outside of AL find a consumer lawyer here — https://www.consumeradvocates.org/find-an-attorney

Its worth your time to chat with a consumer lawyer (no charge) to find out your options.

Thanks

205-879-2447 or contact us here

17. Jerry Traylor
    June 17, 2020

I had car repo in 2012 and all of a sudden I’m got a letter saying I’m getting garnish 25% of my paycheck! The letter says date of judgement is 8/18/2013. Is there a statue of limitations? How can they do this? Intrest is $5,000.00 more than the car was worth. I have been told there was a statue of limitations on this. Please help! What options do I have? I’ve worked so hard to get my credit excellent and now this taking alot of money out of my paycheck!!

18. Gerald
    July 27, 2020

I am trying to find out what my balance is on the remainder of my account? My file number is 19-18813. I
    Thank you very much.