Steps for Fixing Your Credit Report Errors

General Overview of the Dispute Process under The Fair Credit Reporting Act (Updated December 4, 2019)

Steps for Fixing Your Credit Report ErrorsHaving credit report errors is a frustrating and costly problem, but it can be resolved, one way or the other.

We say “one way or the other” because credit report errors will either get fixed with your dispute letter or you can sue for money damages in federal court and the errors will be fixed and you’ll be paid money.

Before we jump into the steps — a few definitions.

Credit reporting agencies are companies like Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union.

Furnishers are the companies that furnish or provide the credit reporting information to the credit reporting agencies — these furnishers are companies like Capital One, Discover, Midland, etc.

First — pull your credit reports.

The first step is always to look at your full credit report by using Annual Credit Report to pull your reports for free.

Click here to download the form to mail in or you can call 1-877-322-8228 or go to the credit request website of to get your reports online.  You should also pull your Sagestream and Innovis reports — we cover how to pull all of your free reports.

Second — look carefully at your credit reports for errors.

The second step is to carefully review everything listed on each report. If anything is incorrect, obtain the documents or proof that shows the information is incorrect. For example, the following simple chart discusses this:

Inaccuracy Document to Prove Inaccuracy
Account you didn’t open, showing identity theft
  • A police report where you notify the police the account is not your account and you have been the apparent victim of an identity theft crime.
  • We can also help you prepare an affidavit where you swear the account is not your account.
  • Click here for our page on identity theft.
Debt discharged in bankruptcy, but still showing a balance
  • Copies of your bankruptcy petition and discharge order (you can get this from your bankruptcy attorney). This will show that as of the date you filed you should no longer be shown as being late and that the debt is discharged and you don’t owe any money.
Wrong Name
  • Have a copy of your driver’s license and other similar documents (mortgage, car note, tax return, social security card, etc) so you can show the name is incorrect. Having an incorrect name can lead to the wrong accounts being placed on your credit reports.
Never late, but shown as late
  • Provide copies of statements or bank account records showing when and how much you paid.
Won the collection suit against you
  • Provide the consumer reporting agencies with the name of the court (i.e. Jefferson County District Court), case number and phone number of the court; then name and account number of the debt buyer who sued you; and the phone number of the debt buyer’s attorney who sued you. Ask the agency to remove this account from your report since you don’t owe it.

Obviously there can be other types of problems but hopefully the above gives you a good starting point for knowing what type of documents to get for the particular error you are dealing with…

Third — send a dispute letter (with documentation) to the credit reporting agencies by certified mail to fix the credit report errors.

Write a letter that identifies you, identifies the wrong account, and explains why it is wrong.  Then include the documentation above.

We also suggest, primarily because Experian is a company that in our opinion loves to reject valid disputes, a copy of your driver’s license and a recent utility or bank statement showing your name and address.

Send this certified to the credit reporting agencies and to the furnisher — otherwise they will throw your letter and documentation in the trash.  They’ll lie and say they never received it.

But when you send it certified, it makes them think twice about lying as you can prove they received it.

Finally, a note about online disputes.  They are quick but typically it is hard to attach documentation and it is difficult to prove what you disputed unless you do screen shots or record a screen capture video as you do your dispute.

OK, so what happens next?

Fourth — you will get the “results of the investigation” in about 30-40 days telling you whether the false information is staying or is deleted.

What if it is fixed?

Great!!  Congratulations — you now have accurate credit reports which is what you wanted in the first place.


What if Equifax, Experian, Transunion, etc. won’t fix it — instead they say the false information will remain?

The solution is normally to sue the credit reporting agency (or agencies) and whoever gave or furnished the false information.  You sue them for money damages in federal court — this gets their attention!

You’ll get your report fixed and get money damages if you are successful.

Contact Us if you would like help disputing credit report errors.

Let us know if you have any questions about the dispute process.  Or suing the bad guys — we do this all the time.  

We know how frustrating it can be to have credit report errors.  You CAN fix this.  Either it will get fixed without litigation or with a lawsuit.

You can reach us by phone at 1-205-879-2447.

You can also fill out a contact form on our website and we will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

I look forward to talking with you!

Have a great day.

-John G. Watts


  1. […] what’s out there before you can, as a friend of mine says, “analyze the data.” (Go here to find out about pulling your credit reports for free….) The easiest way to check your student loans is to access the federal online database using your […]

  2. JohnGWatts says:

    Thanks — glad it was helpful. Have a good one.

    John Watts
    Birmingham, Alabama

Leave a Comment